Thursday, April 5, 2012

It's different when it's your own...

She's here!  Meet Aili (pronounced "eye-lee"):


Thankfully "they" are correct...it really is different when it is your own.  No return policy needed.

Changing diapers isn't a chore.  Her cries aren't sending me running.  3am feedings aren't a drag....ok, maybe I'm stretching it a little with that last one.  In fact, her 3am feedings have deepened my already substantial appreciation of a good (strong) cup of coffee.

Actually, she's pretty neat.  And beautiful.  And laid-back.  And I just want to eat her up she's so darned cute.

OK, I admit it:  I'm smitten.

I really look forward to teaching her about this world.  Showing her the importance of playing in fields with our pup just watching the wind sweep the aside the clouds...being serenaded by the swish of the long grass and birds calling to each other.  Or merely how to choose the perfect skipping stone.  I want to teach her the wisdom of the Dali Lama, Henry Thoreau and Dr. Seuss. In short, I want to help guide her into a strong, independent, intelligent, kind, compassionate woman able to appreciate the beauty in life and deflect the ugly.

It's been two weeks since she was born.  We're trying to get into as much of a routine as possible.  Trying to figure her out a little since she didn't arrive with a manual (not that I read instructions anyway).  I suspect I'll be posting quite a bit about that as my ignorance of all things baby seems to amuse my friends.

I'd also like to create a bit of a tribute to Aili.  A history of her life that she can read (eventually read that is...we're working on our addition and multiplication tables currently) and marvel that she survived my attempts at being a good and responsible father.

I do feel a need to give a shout out to two blogs in particular that have served as inspiration for a blog chronicling Aili's life.  I've read this blog for awhile now as they are cruisers and he takes very good pics (two topics dear to my heart).  Another photography rich cruising blog (and now FB friend) is written by Cindy.  I recommend getting a cup of strong coffee, sitting down and checking them both out.

Welcome to the world Aili - your mom and I love you very much.




1 comment:

  1. She is absolutely gorgeous! Sniff her little head for me and enjoy this sweet time with her. It goes by all too fast...

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...